Friday, September 21, 2007

Reggae Album Covers

As far as I'm concerned the most interesting canvases in graphic design are tee shirts and album covers. You can ask almost anyone what their first tape, LP, or cd was and they can typically remember the exact artist and album and even though there is a sonic queue that triggers the memory a lot of it has do with image on the cover.

First tape I ever bought with my own money:

Motley Crue "Dr. Feelgood" in 1989. I was 8 years old singing about the dope man and groupies. Ironic.

With reggae/dancehall the album covers are so ridiculous that even if you weren't a fan of the genre you can enjoy the brilliant insanity that goes into them. Some are pretty sound from a design standpoint and then some are just off the wall.

At any rate here's a handful that I pulled and posted up.






The legend Dennis Alcapone getting his glamour shot on.




Big Youth probably has the best-designed covers out of any artist.




I rest my case.




Boom was dis wah dat.

* Almost all reggae artists for whatever reason have misspelled names and songs throughout their career. It still happens today quite frequently.



Clint Eastwood is badder dem all of dem.



Class is now in session.




Roughness.




Classic rockers style design with "Dellinger"?




General Echo sounds nothing like 2 Live Crew, but they definitely share similar philosophies.

R.I.P "Ranking Slackness" a.k.a General Echo

* Quite possibly one of my Top 5 Covers ever



The back isn't too bad either.



One of the best "Junjo" produced albums ever and this cover is too good. I suppose it makes sense from a lyrical stand point, but it is still budget.



Just saw this one for the first time and was really drawn to it.



Classic.



Vicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment