Monday, March 23, 2009

Morrissey at Bowery Ballroom 2009


SDTW Moz NYC 09 Bowery Ballroom from Skip on Vimeo.

I just got back from New York City. It was quick trip, but well worth it. I finally got to see Moz live which has been a goal of mine for the last few years. I wasn't raised on The Smiths and didn't start listening to them or Moz until I was like 22 or somewhere around there, but once I did there was no turning back.

I like Moz's solo stuff enough, but I find it hit or miss for the most part.

Luckily my buddy Abe got me tickets to this show which was probably the smallest and most intimate venue Morrissey will play on this tour. The Bowery Ballroom was really impressive and had the perfect amount of space. I think we could have scalped our tickets for a 200 a piece to the crowd outside.

Some highlights:

- Opened with "This Charming Man" which I shot with my digi thankfully
- He tore his shirt off not once, but TWICE
- He gave the mic to two different people and let them talk to the crowd (lame)
- He made references to the smell of weed
- Played "How Soon Is Now" I've never been into that song unfortunately
- There was a gong and they played the hell out of it
- No one got on stage to kiss him or even touch him

Unfortunately we only got treated to two Smiths songs. The crowd gave a pretty weak cheer for the encore and I had hoped for "Please, Please, Please" but no luck.

Until the next time Mozzer.

1 comment: