Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cornel Campbell: Return of The Gorgon

This is the second time Cornel Campbell has been on SDTW. The first time he appeared on here I posted some classic material, but this time I hand picked some tunes that really show the "Gorgon" running the dance.

Cornel Campbell much like Gregory Isaacs exemplifies more of a lovers rock or crooner style of singing that could really be used for all types of genres not just roots. I never have been big on lovers rock as a genre, but after warming up to Cornel Campbell, Gregory Isaacs, Beres Hammond, Freddie McGregor, and the like I've found that all of these artists are not really bound by just their lovers rock title and have heaps of roots tunes and early dancehall styled tunes that crush the dance.

Most of the tunes I picked can be found on the Trojan "Natty Dread" Anthology which for what it's worth is actually better then the Blood & Fire "I Shall Not Remove" compilation.

Enjoy!

Track Listing:

1. My Sweet Baby
2. Girl of My Dreams
3. The Gorgon
4. Gun Court Law
5. Natty Dread In A Greenwich Farm
6. Press Along Natty Dread (Dancehall Version)
7. Jah Jah A Go Beat Them
8. I'll Mash You Down
9. Wherever I Lay My Hat
10. Press Along Natty (Roots Version)
11. Fight Against Corruption
12. Everybody Want Promotion
13. No Man's Land
14. Jah Jah Me No Born Yah
15. The Gorgon Is Back
16. The Drifter
17. Queen of The Minstrel
18. Two Timer (12 Inch Version)





Cornel Campbell "SDTW Compilation"

No comments:

Post a Comment