Sunday, November 25, 2007

Roots

I compiled some roots/early Studio One roots albums that I've been listening to lately and pulled a couple stand outs from each.

Enjoy!






Freddy McGregor "Rastaman Camp" mp3
From the album: Bobby Bobylon

Ed* I'm not a huge Freddy fan. I particularly stay clear of most "Lovers Rock" as a rule, but Studio One rarely steers you wrong.




Burning Spear "Door Peep Shall Enter mp3
From the album: Studio One Presents Burning Spear

Ed* I've been listening to this album every night lately and this is the best tune by far. A lot of these Studio One tunes would come back into Spear's catalogue and get a much ruffer roots treatment later on and this is one them.


Burning Spear "Down By The Riverside" mp3
From the album: Studio One Presents Burning Spear


Burning Spear "He Prayed" mp3
From the album: Studio One Presents Burning Spear




Junior Byles "Beat Down Babylon" mp3
From the album: Beat Down Babylon




Prince Alla "Funeral" mp3
7 inch rip


Horace Andy "Every Tongue Shall Tell" mp3
From the album: Skylarking: Studio One


Horace Andy "Got To Be Sure" mp3
From the album: Skylarking: Studio One





Sylford Walker "Burn Babylon" mp3
7 inch rip

Ed* I am a huge Sylford Walker fan. I wish I had more of his catalogue That probably won't happen unless I start hunting 45s down which I hope never comes because what starts out as a "hobby" of collecting rare 45s usually turns you into a Rasta version of Gollum sitting in the dark obsessing over the "precious."

No comments:

Post a Comment