Thursday, December 4, 2008

Graffiti Purge

I tend to stay away from offering my opinions on graffiti as much as possible these days. In the end it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of graffiti itself or of those who participate in the medium.

Here is how I view the whole ball of wax that is graffiti.

Firstly, most graffiti writers are cunts. Fact. Most of the people involved with writing are pretty despicable to be honest. As always there are some huge exceptions, but it holds true for the most part. It is far better to let your work do the talking. Meeting a writer you admire is usually a very underwhelming event as they tend to either be one of the following: a scumbag, a drug addict, or my personal favorite just a plain old "sketchy" dude.

Secondly, when it comes down to style arguing about what is the best or worst style is purely subjective. This rings especially true to those who don't actually participate in graffiti.

My two cents on style:

I am not huge on productions in the slightest. Technical or intricate wild styles just don't motivate me in any real way. I appreciate the technique that is necessary to achieve them, but that is about all.

I prefer the more lowbrow affair. Graffiti from its inception has always been about letter form. While simple letters appear to be an easier affair I can assure you that simple styles are not as easy to pull off as one might assume. Mastering that style is essentially a life long endeavor that many writers strive for.

Below is a quick sampling of some flicks I really like. For those readers who paint just remember if you're not having fun you're not doing it right.

Enjoy.

* Excuse the typos above. Slippin!














1 comment: