Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Early Graffiti

















Some people might look at these pieces and think that they lack the "wow" factor of the modern day "FX" style murals that you see today. I've found that the older I get the more I've become drawn to older pieces. While they don't jump off the wall with shiny, bright, and poppy colors of today's Belton and Montana made productions they evoke a certain authenticity that new productions just can't touch.

Most of these are just throw ups or just throw ups with some extra lines, but I would rather stare at these all day versus some done up "mega burner Jimi Hendrix guitar on fire, Nike shoe morphing into a 3-D burner with lasers shooting all over the place "wall any day of the week.

Call me old fashion.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with you , regards the lack of pinache in the newest graffiti!! I'm a mid school graf artist (tags, throwups, murals, full colour burns, trains) here in Canada..started 1992 and I have incorporated both worlds, as I see merit in both sides, but I hear ya, with the flaming nike ect..I separated from my original crew in toronto area, as they went strickly Commercial with their graf... I have other art skills I envoke for commercial, I leave graffiti on the streets and incognito, with of course a huge scoop of hip hop , and spirituality/sexuality. Peace, and love the name of the blog..isn't that what that one armed wonder in Style wars says?? That guy has skills, timeless.

    ReplyDelete