Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oldies But Goodies


Above: Rocksteady sans Bebop


Now that I have Unite's Blog to deal with for reggae uploads I had to go to the vaults and find some dusty rocksteady jumpers to dust off and post.

Well I suppose that's only half true since I got these on cd and not vinyl, but you get the idea.

These are all Trojan releases from a comp, but each could easily stand on their original LPs as certified bangers.


The Slickers "Johnny Too Bad" mp3

I know nothing of The Slickers, but I do know Dennis Brown covered this tune and it's been on steady rotation ever since I heard it.


Dave & Ansel Collins "Double Barrel" mp3

This tune has been sampled in so many hip-hop/battle records that I didn't even know it was a full song.

Ken Boothe "Ain't No Sunshine" mp3

I've always loved this Bill Withers tune and I thought that know one could top Horace Andy's cover, but this Boothe cut is a really close contender.

3 comments: