Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tag Bang




Taken from Wooster:
Last week a group of 30 Pixadores stormed the Choque Cultural Gallery in protest against the "marketing, institutionalization and domestication of Street Art" by the galleries and media. Paintings by Gerald Laing, Speto, Titi Freak and others were tagged by the Pixadores.

SDTW thinks:

I don't know how I feel about this one. I mean I sort of applaud the "bum rush" apsect of it, but art is in the eye of the beholder and selling it is by no means "selling out."

I personally enjoy the ephemeral aspect of the graffiti and street art, but if someone offered to pay or sponsor those en devours I wouldn't consider that "selling out."

People who do not participate or are not of the same caliber in said mediums are usually the quickest to open their mouths and scream sell out. Just do you. Let someone else paint whatever the f*ck they want to. That is sort of the point.

BUT....

If you are going to diss someone you may as well go balls deep and bum rush their show and cross them out Sao Paulo style.

No comments:

Post a Comment